Afterpay’s new integration now allows merchants to leverage Shopify’s manual capture setting. Please note this is a Shopify store wide setting, so if you have it enabled for another payment method it will be enabled for the new payment gateway. Afterpay's old payment gateway automatically captured all orders regardless of your Shopify setting.
If you have enabled “manually capture payment for orders” within your Shopify payment settings, this means the following:
- Afterpay will not automatically capture orders when the shopper completes checkout.
- Instead, Afterpay will place an authorization hold on the Consumer’s account like other payment methods.
- However, unlike other payment methods, the consumer’s installment plan will begin as soon as the authorization is made.
- Most consumers will be charged for their first installment at this time, unless they qualify for Afterpay’s “No payment Up-Front” program where the first installment is collected 2 weeks after the authorization is made.
- Afterpay’s authorization hold will be valid for a period of 13 days from the time of auth. If the order has not been captured before this time, any uncaptured amount will be automatically voided, and the voided amount reduced from the Afterpay consumer’s outstanding balance of the order. If the voided amount is more than the consumer’s outstanding balance of the order, the consumer will be refunded the remainder of the voided amount, up to the authorized amount. For more refunds view the Afterpay help section.
- You will need to capture orders via the Shopify order tab, via integrations, or Shopify’s API directly.
- You can use all the available options on Shopify to capture Afterpay orders as any other payment method supporting manual capture.
- If you capture orders via a third-party integration or via Shopify’s API, you may need to extend your configurations to capture Afterpay orders. Please confirm this is properly configured before updating to the new Afterpay payments app.
- If you capture orders via Shopify’s order tab, you will now need to begin capturing Afterpay orders.
Shopify Help Article, Capture Payments Manually
- Shopify will still restrict orders to a single capture, meaning that any uncaptured amounts will expire and be voided on the 14th day after the original authorization.
- If you need to cancel an authorised order, you can do so via all methods that Shopify allows (via orders tab, integrations or Shopify’s API).
- Shopify Help Article, Capture Payments Manually
- Shopify will still restrict cancellations to only apply to the full order amount - Shopify does not support partial cancellations.
- Refunds will continue to behave normally.
- For partially captured orders, only the captured amount is available to be refunded.
- You will only be settled for funds that you have captured.
Please view the Shopify Pre-Migration Checks
Updated 18 days ago